IMPORTANT NOTE

NOTE: This blog is currently public, which means that anyone on the internet can see what is written here. This means that:
1) you can enroll in the email or subscribe features.
2) the adults in your life who support your academic achievement can see the content.
3) you don't have to remember a password or username, but can just use the URL to access it.

However, this also means that it is possible for unsavory types to see what is written here, so while we encourage you to use the comments section to communicate with the English 2 teachers and your classmates, please DO NOT POST ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION in the comments. In order to avoid inappropriate content, all comments are moderated by the teacher, so inappropriate comments (both from class members and others) will not be posted.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Ghosts of English Classes Past

I still remember my ninth grade English teacher, Clint Darling.  He terrified me.  I don't think I ever worked harder for another teacher.  And yet, I couldn't ever seem to quite bring up my grade.  Finally, I realized that while I was working hard, I wasn't working smart.  When taking notes, I was writing down everything, rather than sifting out the important information.  When studying my vocabulary flashcards, I studied all of them, rather than sorting through them to find out which ones I had trouble with so that I could focus my energy on them.  Ultimately, I learned more from him than form any other teacher.  Certainly there were other English teachers who taught me the love of creative writing, or the skills of close reading, but CLint Darling taught me how to be a good student.

Task:  Reflect on an English class from your past.  What did you learn from it and how?  What did you love/ hate and why?

4 comments:

  1. Melissa Thomas

    i have learned much from my 7th grade english teacher, she was fun and i will never forget her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that its important to take good notes, meaning don't just write down everything. Write down things you don't know so they can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This artical is interesting, because everyone seems to be able to remember old teachers that were either extremely awesome or extremely horrible. i can relate, because i remember some teachers that weren't the nicest from middle school, and elementary school.

    -Joe Dyer
    -A3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've hated teachers but never english teachers.

    Lorelei Crosthwaite A3

    ReplyDelete