IMPORTANT NOTE

NOTE: This blog is currently public, which means that anyone on the internet can see what is written here. This means that:
1) you can enroll in the email or subscribe features.
2) the adults in your life who support your academic achievement can see the content.
3) you don't have to remember a password or username, but can just use the URL to access it.

However, this also means that it is possible for unsavory types to see what is written here, so while we encourage you to use the comments section to communicate with the English 2 teachers and your classmates, please DO NOT POST ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION in the comments. In order to avoid inappropriate content, all comments are moderated by the teacher, so inappropriate comments (both from class members and others) will not be posted.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Summer Writing

Most of us don't write essays over the summer (though some of us might have if we took summer school), but we do write over the summer.  No, really, I mean it.  These are a few of the things I wrote:
  • To do lists
  • Emails
  • Short Stories
  • Shopping lists
  • Thank you notes
  • Directions for the neighbor who watered my yard while I visited my grand kids in San Diego
  • Facebook updates
  • Lesson plans
Most of the writing I did was informal.  Quite a bit of it didn't even include complete sentences.  The purpose was primarily informal communication between myself and my family/friends.  Sometimes my only audience was myself.  Only a few pieces, such as the thank you notes and short stories were really intended for a formal audience.  I wrote several drafts of the stories, but otherwise all of my summer writing was essentially one draft work.  I think the biggest difference between the writing I do over the summer and during the school year is that during the school year I have a bigger audience, so I try to proofread a bit more.

What kinds of writing did you do this summer?  Reflect on it.  How was it similar or different to the writing you do during the school year?


1 comment:

  1. i have a story that I have been writing, and I was wondering if you might read it to see if my grammar is correct, and if I have any run-on or incomplete sentences. I have it on this website called wattpad.com

    Abby Robe
    Period A4

    ReplyDelete